Friday, December 30, 2011

Memphis Holidays

After our cruise, we flew directly into Memphis just in time for a yummy Christmas dinner at the Carnell's!  It was wonderful being able to spend Christmas with Ryan's family and see what their family traditions are in comparison to mine.  I especially loved getting to spend more time with his family members because I've only been around them a limited number of times because they are so far away, so I love the opportunities to get to know everyone a little more.

Dinner was absolutely delish!  And Jane's fudge definitely didn't disappoint, it was divine as always!

Ryan's family does a gift exchange between all the adults/married couples.  We received exactly what we asked for, the board games Pandemic and Dominion.  Thank you Jane and Skip!  We LOVE them!!



I don't know why but we didn't take any pictures while we were out there, I know, it's pathetic, but in all reality, I was photoed-out after all the pictures we took while cruising.

While we were there Skip and Sherry took us out to many yummy places for food.  We of course had a divine meal at Bozo's, our favorite place to get pulled pork.  Ryan and Skip spent the afternoon hunting up at the farm and had zero luck, any by zero luck I mean, probably the worst luck a person can have in a day...

First, Ryan and Skip were drove more than halfway to the farm before they forgot the ATV and had to turn around and come back to get it.  Once they finally got to the farm, the axil of said ATV broke in the middle of the woods in the evening dusk.  Skip's good friend luckily came to the rescue and fished them out of the woods, however Skip lost the keys to the truck and they spent about 30+ minutes looking for the keys in the dark to find out that somehow they ended up in his boot!  Finally, we thought everything was good and right in the world after eating at Bozo's and coming back to the Carnell's house.  Once we arrived we realized that Ryan's phone vanished into thin air.  He made a call in the truck after we left Bozo's, and then it was gone...so someplace between the truck and the house, it disappeared.  Sherry, Ryan, Skip and I spent the entire next day searching EVERYWHERE for the dang phone with no luck with a collect 21+ hours of scouring the house, truck, garbage, and garage. Oh well.

We also went to the famous Memphis Rendezvous.  It was alright, but in reality, I think the Germantown Commissary is way better for ribs {Ryan disagrees with this}.  Afterwards we stopped by the Kooky Canuck's for mouth watering pazoockie {undercooked chocolate chip cookie with vanilla bean ice cream on top}.  It was good in my mouth good.

Kevin and Jessica took us out for a night on the town and got us Gus's Fried Chicken--another Memphis must eat.  Definitely don't think I've ever had such good fried chicken in my entire life.

I was introduced to some more Southern cuisine items while I was there.  Sherry made me some southern grits.  At first I was very hesitant to try them because I have never had good ones before, however these were light and fluffy {basically they were BOMB.com} and I gobbled them up as quickly as she made them.  Another southern specialty I feel in love with is called Boiled Custard.  They best way to describe it is premium melted vanilla ice cream that you drink cold.  Love it more than egg nog, which I thought would be impossible.  Still, my very favorite southern food is Lemon Icebox Pie {from the Germantown Commissary of course}.  One day, I will find that recipe....

I love my in-laws and I love Memphis.  If I had my way, we'd move out to Memphis forever...maybe one day Ryan will get a job there!

Our Christmas break was absolutely incredible!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment