Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day 2012


I don't know why, but summer holidays like Memorial Day and the Forth of July {and the UT holiday Pioneer Day) are seriously my favs, I think I like them more than the "traditional" holidays.  I just love being outside and eating BBQ and pie and the smell of fireworks.  Nothing is better than that in my opinion.

This year we made a feast of lip smackin' good chicken wings and drumsticks with my mom's potato salad {probably her best dish she makes and best potato salad I've had}, cooled cucumber salad and a few others.  All food was {fabulous}.  I'm really going to miss my dad's grilling and barbecuing when we're gone--I've been watching him doing it the past few times so hopefully I've sponged some of his secrets.


Let me tell ya, these pies my sister and I made were to die for good--and I'm not trying to toot my own horn here.  Seriously, that good though.  The pie on the left is called 'Lemon Ice Box' and it's a yummy Southern pie I was introduced to when visiting my in-laws in Memphis.  It was love at first bite when Ryan and I went into the Commissary in Germantown.  Ever since, I've been obsessed with re-creating their pie {they won't give me the recipe}.  I'm proud to say, I have {almost} got it, just a few more tweaks and it will be just like theirs.  Yum!


Afterwards, we went to the park and played with Asher.  He's a cutie.  I'm going to miss him terribly.  


Anyone else think this picture is frightening?  Also, this bench was made for giants, the 3 of us are short, but not this short so that our feet don't touch...



No comments:

Post a Comment